Study Permit is a typical path from student to permanent resident status in Canada.

You can study at any school in Canada without a study permit if your program is for 6 months or less and is not part of a longer program. However, most foreign nationals need a study permit to study before you travel to Canada. 

To apply for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI) approved by a provincial or territorial government. In addition, you need to prove of funds to pay for your tuition fees; living and return expenses. Furthermore, you should not have a criminal record and may have to provide a police certificate. It is important that you convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

After completing your study program in Canada, a typical path from student to permanent resident status in Canada is through taking advantage of something Canada offers that is not available, or more difficult to obtain, in other countries — an open Post-Graduation Work Permit. This work permit, which allows to work for any employer in Canada, may be issued upon completion of the study program and is equal in length to the duration of that program, up to a maximum of three years. 

Other benefits for International Students to study in Canada:

· work for up to 20 hours per week while in school, and on a full-time basis during school breaks;

· bring an accompanying spouse or common-law partner to Canada on an open full-time work permit, allowing him or her to work for any employer;

· bring accompanying minor children to study in Canada at the same rate that Canadians pay; and

· as mentioned above, become eligible for Canadian permanent residence, either through a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), through Quebec's immigration system, or through the Express Entry immigration selection system.